Friday, March 16, 2012

JOHN PHILLIP ABBOTT

Folk Festival, 9”x12”, oil, charcoal,
 acrylic gesso on canvas over panel, 2012





What are you working on in your studio right now?


Right now I am in the process of preparing small and large canvases. I take a lot of time prepping the canvases to arrive at a smooth surface, assuming ownership, if you will, of the white ground that is often visible in the finished paintings. And I continue to draw.





Can you describe your working routine?


Working in the early morning and late evening are my favorite times to be in the studio. The quietness seems to yield the most awareness. Come to think of it, there is a really quiet time in the early afternoon here in New Mexico, too. Basically, when my schedule allows it, I try to be in the studio. My wife is a painter as well so we encourage each other to get in the studio. I’m in the studio every day. Sometimes I just look, or put things away, or read.  It is important that when I am painting that I feel what I am doing otherwise it is better to prep canvases or draw.













Can you describe your studio space and how, if at all, that affects your work?


My studio is located in a small, prefabricated building located behind the house we rent in Albuquerque, New Mexico. My work is diaristic in nature and pulls from memory, so working at the house provides an infinite amount of source material.





Tell me about your process, where things begin, how they evolve etc.


My work begins with writing what I am thinking about or feeling at the time. It could be something I read or heard. This quick action breaks up the picture plane and leaves something behind that can lead to further dialogue. I then may layer an image on top of the text that, ideally, relates conceptually and structurally to the formal characteristics of the text and its meaning. Hopefully these different modes of perception will all relate to produce an image that feels my own.















What are you having the most trouble resolving?


At times, I will get stuck with a painting and it will just have to sit there, facing the wall. Often times, if I am patient and open, the next move for the work will present itself.





Do you experiment with different materials a lot or do you prefer to work within certain parameters?


Experimenting with different materials at times begins to feel like the focus of my research. If I want to make something, and have the resources, I will. As far as I’m concerned any work in the studio is positive but eventually I will stumble upon something that demands my attention for longer.







Goodnight Gary Carter, 9”x12”, oil, charcoal,
acrylic gesso on canvas over panel, 2012





What does the future hold for this work?


I’m really excited about this work and look forward to seeing where it goes from here. Some of this work will be included in upcoming shows in Pittsburgh and New York with shows slated later in the summer for Madison and Chicago.





Is there anything else you would like to add?


Thank you Valerie for this opportunity to discuss my studio and process. I am grateful for this platform of sharing and to you for making it possible.





No comments:

Post a Comment